Wednesday, May 1, 2013

No Score

There are a lot of things that a score is important.  A baseball game is insignificant if there is no score.  A tennis match is the same.  A football game would not be as exciting without a posted score as would a hockey game.  Some even comment that they need to "even" the score with a positive OR negative connotation.  Today I would like to suggest that there is one aspect of life where there should be no score.

I suppose this is a pet peeve of mine.  I do something for someone and they say, "I owe you one."  Heaven help us if when someone does something for me they think in their head "She owes me one" because let me clue you in on something about me, it ain't happening.  I don't think to myself  "_____ did something for me now I have to even the score and I have to do something for them."  It takes the joy from the giver if the giver feels like you feel obligated to even the score and return a favor.  In turn, it takes the joy out of receiving something if you feel guilty and immediately in your head think that you need to repay them.  

The Bible talks about God loving a cheerful giver.  I am suggesting that if you expect something in return for your giving, whether it be giving of time, talent, or money, then you are not ultimately a cheerful giver.  Give with the intention of making someone happy or their life easier without expecting anything in return.  If you are expecting something in return or the score to be evened at some point, then you are taking the joy away from the recipient.  The recipient should be able to accept without worry that you are expecting something in return.

On the same token, if you are the recipient, be a gracious recipient without feeling obligated to return the favor.  If you feel a sense of obligation then you are taking the joy away from the giver.  They gave to you to make your life easier or to make you happy.  Be happy and skip the guilt.  Guilt is a terrible thing.  It can rule your life.  It can undermine your efforts.

I am much more of a fan of paying it forward.  After all, what goes around always comes around and you reap what you sow.  So if we all are paying it forward then we all experience the joy of giving and receiving without the mental anguish of obligation and guilt.  It makes my head hurt to think of all the people I would "owe" one to for helping me or my family.  Let's just all do what we can, when we can to who we can and we will all be reaping the harvest of good people doing good things in a good world.

Now that is a point to ponder.

Thank you for reading my blog.  Go to the column on the right and like my Facebook page and also subscribe to my blog.  You will receive notifications of when it has been updated.  I am very grateful for each and every comment I read about my blog posts.  Most of them I see on Facebook, but I love it too when you comment here on the post.  Please know, too, that you don't have to be on Facebook to read my blog.  You can go directly to it by putting in funthoughtsonlife.blogspot.com  You don't have to put www. in front of it.  Again, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment