Thursday, May 30, 2013

More Lessons Learned from a Day at Camp

Honestly I never thought that my post would have such an outpouring of love from the community.  I am becoming more and more convinced that one person really can make a difference.  We can't impact everyone, but we can impact someone.  We may not can feed the world every day, but we can feed a family for a night.  One day at a time, Sweet Jesus.

This morning when I pulled up to pick up the children for camp, a very eager boy stood at the door of my bus and talked a mile a minute.  I thought my youngest daughter had the record for the most talking EVER, but no.  This boy beats her any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  The most important thing he said was this, "Guess what I have in this bag I am bringing today?  I found a Bible and I brought it today.  I have decided that I want to be a preacher because I started learning about Jesus yesterday and since I am learning early, I will be ready to be a preacher when I grow up.  When I get on the bus I am going to sit right behind you and if I stop talking to you for a minute on the bus ride, then you know I am reading my Bible a little bit."

Then there were the two girls who stood arm in arm at the door of the bus and literally refused to get on.  I told them to come on up for another fun day at camp, and they just said simply, "We were told we would get a breakfast and drink and not to get on yet."  The other kids pleaded for them to get on, but they wouldn't.  I said, "I will make sure you get your breakfast."  They reluctantly got on and then the miracle happened.  Seemingly from nowhere, literally, a woman showed up with a box of food, breakfast for each and every one of the little ones.  It must have been just like when Jesus fed the 5.000 that day.  There was plenty of breakfast for everyone including drinks.  Extra snacks were available in the afternoon and plenty of lunch, even more if you wanted an extra sandwich.  Ironically, I discovered the woman with the box of food knew my Aunt.  My Aunt passed away on Thanksgiving a few years ago and she was just the type woman who would have given her last loaf of bread to these children.  I was touched that this lady knew my precious Aunt.

Today I met some children who had never had potato chips before.  I met a boy who said he had his shoes for 5 years(I can't imagine that could be possible, but I wouldn't question anything after what I have seen this week).  I have to admit that my idea of what inner city kids look like was a mistake.  I stereotyped what that looked like.  The face of inner city looks just like my children.  They have hopes and dreams like my children.  They have feelings like my children.  Only they don't sit in the seat of privilege like my children.  I was told that the majority of these children will never graduate high school.  The drop out rate is tremendous in this area.

When I found out that Senior Camp this year was going to be different and we were going to offer a free summer camp for inner city kids and use our high school campers as counselors for the kids, I thought to myself, "Our kids won't sign up for camp this year if they don't get to boat, swim, and do the normal camp things they do each year."  I could not be more wrong.  Our high school kids have risen to the occasion and they have had a life altering experience at camp this year.  Our kids look happier when I see them.  They are making a difference.  Jesus came on this earth not to serve himself or to be entertained, He came to seek and save the lost and to serve others.  Our kids have had the chance to be Jesus to someone this week.  To make a difference one child at a time.

We can't feed everyone, but we can feed someone.  We can't feed someone every day, but we can feed them one day.  We can't impact everyone but we can impact someone.  Jesus made a difference one person at a time.  He didn't raise everyone from the dead, but he raised someone from the dead.  May we all be Jesus to someone each day.

The children were happier today when I delivered them back to their place than even yesterday.  They all seem more relaxed and comfortable.  A safe environment with a safe place to be yourself and let your hair down and experience new things is just what the doctor ordered for these children and Jesus is the great physician.

Thank you so much for reading my blog.  Please subscribe to it at the right and updates will be emailed to you!  Have a great night and be Jesus to someone tomorrow.

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment