Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Barefoot Running-A New Endeavor and Consumer Report

I remember when I was about 11 I heard the melodious sound of the ice cream man on the streets behind where I grew up.  Living on the main road, the ice cream man did not go down my street so I had to go behind the house and through the neighbor's yards to get to him.  Most times I did not catch him because it was too much trouble and my mother was so good about keeping plenty of treats in our freezer.  This day I decided to chase down that man who brings zombie eyes to any child who hears his tune in the area.  What is it about the ice cream man's music??  It is ages old and children have reacted to it the same way for a century if he has been around that long.  I was barefooted in the backyard when I heard his music and ran to stick my head in the door to shout that I was chasing the ice cream man and off I went.  I still remember how free I felt running like a crazy child chasing after the sound of music to buy a refreshment.

I never have had much use for shoes.  I love being barefoot.  You will be hard pressed to find me with shoes on from April to October unless I am somewhere that requires them.  My feet are tough and I can even walk in gravel and aggregate with no shoes. I started running 4 years ago and of course, run in shoes.  Then I read this book called Born to Run about indians running barefoot or in sandals and all the stories about how our bodies are designed to run and all the padding, etc of running shoes are just man's creation when we were all Born to Run.  Thus the birth of my desire to run barefooted was born from that book.  Luckily, barefoot running was becoming a fad so there were many choices to "transition" from shoes to bare feet.  However, being on a budget and already having running shoes it was hard for me to decide that I would spend more money on minimalist shoes or 5 finger shoes.  My philosophy in life is go big or go home so I just decided, after a LOT of research, that I would just run completely barefooted.  I LOVED it.  This was a year ago.  I ran about a half a mile barefooted after a 4 mile run in my shoes.  My feet were very sore and I was really nervous about hitting a rock or something that would cut my foot open.  I have children to raise so I am always concerned about my safety and injuring myself.  Also through research I realized that I would be starting over when I started running barefoot so the fact that I was training for a half marathon seemed not the smartest time to start barefoot running.  Idea axed, shoes back on, thought moved to the back of my head.

But...I never gave up the desire to barefoot run.  Every pair of shoes I buy I think to myself, "I have to buy the least padded, hardest soled running shoe in the store or my legs get sore from too much padding.  So WHY do I buy shoes to run in??"  And eternally, I look at the Vibram 5 finger shoes.  Then I look away because I am afraid to waste my money on something I may not like or be able to use and wouldn't they rub blisters between your toes???  Fast forward to this past weekend when I was at the tent sale at Sports Seasons.  Vibram 5 Fingers on sale plus an extra 20% off.  Sold to the rock star with spiky hair.  I skipped away like the leper who had been dipped in the River Jordan!  So excited!!

So I took these puppies out for a spin on Monday for the first time.  I was super pumped.  Decided I would walk some then run until I was uncomfortable and start there with breaking them in.  Well, I never got uncomfortable, my toes never rubbed, I just felt free as a bird like I was chasing the ice cream man and was LOVING it!!  These shoes are as close to barefoot as possible without actually having your skin on the pavement.  So it eased my fears of stepping on something and cutting my foot open or something like that.  They seriously feel like I am totally barefoot.  

Consumer Report on Vibram 5 Finger Running Shoes

I would recommend these shoes for running if a consumer generally likes to go barefoot for normal activity or out in the yard, has moderately tough feet, and wears stability running shoes which generally have firm padding in them.

They are very comfortable, I found there to be no break in time needed as I was able to run almost 5 miles with no problems what so ever the very first time I put them on my feet.  I am unusual with the "no break in" time needed.  Most have to start with very minimal mileage and work up.  I have not experienced that.  They do have 5 finger toe socks to wear with them but I wore them barefooted.

I am going to be a complete convert to 5 Finger shoes.  I want to wear them all the time.  Best.Shoes.Ever.

Thank you so much for reading my blog.  Go to the column on the right and subscribe to receive updates when I have a new post.  Enjoy your day and get out and run!  I know I am!



No comments:

Post a Comment