Sunday, September 1, 2013

Socks That Sort Themselves

Necessity is the mother of invention. I used to have two little nagging thorns in my side at the Anglin Compound but not anymore because I invented a solution for both. Check out these ideas and let me know what you think!

Socks. Good grief socks. Especially single socks. No one in my home has only one foot so why do I continually find just one sock?  One sock to go in the washer, one sock comes out of the dryer, one sock under the couch, one sock on the deck. Sock sock sock. Rarely do I find a pair. And then there is the basket of single socks on top of the dryer just hoping to eventually find their mate so they can regain usefulness in society. Their self esteems suffer as they sit day after day, week after week in the humidity of the laundry room. Some consider mingling with mismatches even. Poor socks. Is this situation fair to them?  And even more important than assigning feeling to an inanimate object is the fact that I get tired of trying to find mates for these lost socks. 

Sort socks no more, I say!  I had the brilliant idea to just quit trying to sort them. So I don't. When I fold laundry I put each person's socks individually with their laundry pile and they can match(or not match) them up. Best.Idea.Ever. Don't you just love it when you come up with a solution to an annoying problem that literally gives you a slice of peace to your day?!  I let it go. Let go of the annoyance of sock matching. It was one of the simplest but most freeing ideas I have ever had. Somewhat of the flavor of people in the Bible who were freed from leprosy. What an annoying disease that just ate at you all the time. Itching, hurting, just a thorn in your side. Jesus healed them of their annoyance. I am now freed from the bondage of single socks. Free at last!  


Another little annoyance is in the kitchen for me but may be another spot in the house for you. I am trying to sign papers for school, write a note down, make a grocery list, write down a phone number and I can't find a pen. Ever. Even if I bought a package of pens and put them in the junk drawer they grow legs and walk off to try to hook up with the single socks that were around. Not any more. Not at my house. You have seen this handy little solution at boutiques or Chinese Take Out Places. The solution to keeping pens where they need to be and always handy. 
I bought the little green pot at the dollar store, filled it with coffee beans(which are a natural deodorizer and smell good at the same time), and made my pens into flowers. 
Throw away the cap for your normal ballpoint pen, cut an artificial flower from the bunch, and wrap electrical tape around it and VIOLA!  The pens have purpose and are no longer tempted to walk off to find greener grass somewhere else besides the junk drawer. It is pretty on the counter, makes my kitchen smell good, and I never have to look for a pen again!  Free at last from the bondage of annoyances!

I hope you enjoy my blog. Please sign up to receive updates when I write something new. You can do that on the right. You will receive an email when I have updated the blog. If you are on a mobile device, then scroll to the bottom and click on View Web Version. Then you can subscribe. Have a great day!!

Jennifer


1 comment:

  1. The pen idea...brilliant! As far as the socks, I'm with you. We used to have "sock matching parties" where we would sit in a circle on the floor with a mountain of socks in the center. That didn't last long. So now we have a full size laundry basket filled to the brim with socks. Need socks? Go digging!

    ReplyDelete