Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Then God Gave Me Charlie

I was completely heartbroken more than I had ever experienced when my sweet puppy Zoe left this world tragically. She was hit by a car. Only one year old. The hole in my heart that she left was hemorrhaging out of control. The tears would not stop. The ache would not subside. At first I said I couldn't love another dog when many suggested we get a new puppy right away. As days passed I quickly realized that Zoe was much more than just my puppy. She represented unconditional love, undying devotion, and loyalty second to none. Although I knew there would never be another Zoe, another dog would fill the hole and provide its own unconditional love, devotion and loyalty. I missed someone greeting me at the door no matter what kind of day I had. I missed someone sitting by my chair while I eat. Another dog could fill these needs. Never another Zoe but another dog could help me heal.
My Zoe Girl


Then God sent us Charlie. My friend messaged me Thursday that there had been a Maltese surrendered at the Humane Society that just went up for adoption. I saw the message immediately and jumped in the car immediately. Full blooded toy dogs don't stay long at shelters. I spent about an hour and a half in the viewing room at the shelter playing with this little pup. He was quite precious.   Seemed a little shy but I knew the breed was incredibly loyal and even if he had been neglected he was still loyal to the family that surrendered him. I found myself comparing him to Zoe the whole time I was there. I got his surrender information from the shelter guy and left. I just couldn't take him and compare him to my precious Zoe. It wasn't fair to him. 

My husband called while i was on the way home and I told him about the dog. He said, "You need to turn around and go get that puppy. He won't replace Zoe but he will fill a need we have for a puppy."  So I turned around and went right back to the shelter, filled out the paperwork and brought him home. From the moment I took him out of the shelter I didn't compare him any more. It was the strangest thing. God gave me Charlie to fill the hole in my heart and save me from a broken heart. Here we are pulling out of the shelter :)
Immediately I felt whole again. It was the most amazing thing I had experienced. God knew just what I needed and he used my friend to notify me that there was a furry balm that would heal me. I just had to go and accept the balm. 

When we got home I took Charlie out in the backyard to potty explaining to him that we don't go in the front yard because it is not safe. (Zoe got hit by a car in front of our house). Charlie led me right over to Zoe's Place where she is buried and sat down beside her grave still as can be for a few minutes. It was as though he was honoring the Princess that came before him. I knew he was a Godsend from that moment. 
Zoe's Place


In the few days since we got Charlie we decided upon his fantastic name, Charleton Beauregard Anglin. Beau is in honor of Zoe since she loved her bows. And we loved the name Charlie and thought he looked like one. We also have taken him on many rides in the car to feel the wind in his fur.
He got a bow tie to start his repertoire of clothing:
And he has gone for bike rides in his doggie ride:
Best of all, he has been rocked. 
It was no coincidence that God sent Charlie the day after we took our oldest daughter to college. Provisions were sent to help me heal. Huge job for a little fella. He is up for the challenge. I rescued him from the shelter and he rescued me from a broken heart. It was a win win situation.

Please visit your local shelter for all your pet needs. They even sell items to raise money to care for the tenants of the shelter. Charlie is pretty happy to be out of the shelter. 
 

Thank you so much for reading my blog. Please subscribe in the box at the right and if you are on a mobile device, scroll to the bottom and click on web version then you can subscribe on the right. That way you won't miss a single post. I appreciate the time you take to read. 

Jennifer





No comments:

Post a Comment