Monday, August 12, 2013

Nutrition: Before, During, and After a Run

Before I even address what to eat before, during, and after a run, let me address the fact that I am NOT a doctor, nutritionist, or any form of either and I don't profess to know anything besides what works for me. So consult your physician before starting any new program. 😃

I have read and tried just about everything when it comes to fuel for a run. Some things upset my stomach and I canned those practices immediately. I do have some tried and true fuels that I use regularly that I would like to share with you.  These are my opinions and should be treated as such. 

I generally run in the morning and if it is going to be a short run of 6 miles or less, sometimes I won't eat anything. I make this judgement as I am walking out the door. If I feel hungry I eat and if I don't then I won't. I feel like I burn more fat stores if I don't have ready fuel floating around that I just ate. I read that somewhere but not sure where or when. I like the philosophy so I use it and it seems to work well for me. If I eat then my "go to" is the EAS Protein Drink. They sell them in 4 packs at Walmart. One drink is 110 calories. I like that caloric number real well. 
I also will eat a protein bar called Pure Protein. They have very little sugar in them. Watch sugar content in all protein drinks and bars. Just because it says protein doesn't mean it is good for you. 
I get these at Walmart also. 

I have also been known to eat a tablespoon of peanut butter before a run. 
Oatmeal is very good for you to eat before a run. I despise oatmeal but I have discovered how I can eat it. I eat it raw right out of the package. It fuels great for a run but if you mix it, it tastes like slime. If you eat it raw, it isn't :)
During a run I use Gu or Powerbar Gels. I will use a Gu only if I am running 10 miles or more. Same for gels. Gels are great to suck on along the way so the energy is slowly released. 
These can be purchased at Academy Sports. 

After I run I like a nice glass of chocolate milk. I also have been known to drink a protein drink like is above. However, if it was a short run I don't eat anything unless I ate nothing beforehand. If I ate nothing before the run then I make sure I eat afterwards. 

Those are my selections. However, let me speak to the subject of running yourself fat. I did that. I bought into some crazy thinking that if I was burning a whole days worth of calories in a single run then I should be able to eat whatever I want to. Well, I ran myself fat while I thought that. Now, I never allow myself to overeat because I ran 20 miles that morning and burned 2,000 calories. I eat normally. This has helped me to keep my weight off. 

I hope you have gathered some useful information from my blogpost today. Thanks for reading!  We are growing by leaps and bounds. Please share with your friends!  Don't forget to subscribe to the right. You won't miss a single post if you subscribe :) If you are on your mobile phone, click on desktop site to subscribe. 

Have a fabulous evening!
Jennifer





No comments:

Post a Comment