Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Saying Goodbye to a Lifelong Friend

I went to a funeral today.  I said goodbye to a family friend that I can't ever remember not knowing.  My heart sunk when I heard she had passed, and then the memories started flooding my mind.  I was Peanut to them.  I don't remember why and it doesn't even matter.  What matters is that I was important enough to have a pet name.  I never went to their house growing up that there was not a fresh cookie offered to me in the kitchen.  They had red and white checked curtains hanging in that kitchen and dark paneling throughout the living room and kitchen.  Love was spoken at that house.  When I ran in as a small child I was always greeted with a "Hi Jenny" from Miss Kathleen, and Uncle Dillon would always greet me with "Hi Peanut".  I don't know if they greeted my parents or not, all I know is I felt special when I walked into their home. Very few called me Jenny and no one else called me Peanut.  They were names reserved only for those who originally called me that and from anyone else's mouth it didn't sound right.  I can hear both their voices now in my head like it was yesterday.

Even though they were my parents age, even a year younger, their children were older.  A girl and a boy.  I thought they hung the moon.  They were teenagers when I was little and that was a big deal.  When we would visit, their kids were going out with friends and driving and stuff.  That was so cool.  I watched every step they made.  They were my idols.  Someday maybe I would be a teenager like they were and drive and have friends like they did.  When they would leave for the evening, Uncle Dillon and I would play checkers while he sat in the recliner reared back with a pipe in his teeth.  It smelled SO good.  He had so many different pipes and they were so super cool.  He also chewed on cigars.  I fell in love with the smell of pipe tobacco at that house because of the man who smoked it.  I loved him so I loved that smell.

They had a golf cart.  Their very own golf cart.  Isn't that just the coolest??

Miss Kathleen always had her Bible with her.  I noticed.

We would go eat lunch after church at Morrison's Cafeteria.  I always ordered a corn stick.  I always enjoyed the conversation at the table.  I was never made to feel like the kid. I was always included in the conversation that was always about something good and right and noble.  I never heard anyone talking about anyone else.  We would go eat catfish in Ashland City sometimes.  Now that was super cool too.

When I was 8, their daughter got married and I was the flower girl.  Another big deal. I dropped rose petals along the aisle as I walked.

 One day I was sitting on the couch and the phone rang.  My mom looked like something bad happened.  Their son had been in a motorcycle accident.  The news was not good.  Intensive care, life support, head injury. I remember sitting at their house and watching as Christian people grieve.  I learned that you aren't supposed to outlive your children.  I learned the steps of grieving.  I learned that you never really recover from losing a child.  I learned that your faith makes you whole.  I saw it.  I know it from them.  Somehow I was a comfort for them for many years to come.  They loved me like I was their own.

My uncle passed away and my parents had to go to Virginia for the funeral.  It was the only time my parents ever left me overnight in my life.  I stayed with Miss Kathleen and Uncle Dillon.  It was like they had left me at Disneyworld.  I had the best time ever for those two nights.  Uncle Dillon played with me and Miss Kathleen had yummy things for me to eat and she took care of me.  I was sad when my parents came back just because I had had such a wonderful time.  Every parent loves it when their children have fun while they are away because they are able to leave them with people who love them.

When I got married my husband started playing golf with Uncle Dillon.  How cool is that?  Lifelong friends.  Nothing beats it.  Someone in your life who you never remember not knowing.  You don't remember when you met them because you never did, they just were always there.  Lifelong friends who live in the promised land now.  Lifelong friends who are sitting with their son now and are catching up on the in's and out's of Heaven.  No more pain, no more sorrow, no more crying.  I want to go.

I bet St. Peter had to go get Uncle Dillon off the golf course to let them know his wife was entering the pearly gates.  Hal rode in on his motorcycle to greet his mom and welcome her to paradise.  God said well done my good and faithful servant.

Funerals are for the living.  I am excited for Miss Kathleen.  She is where we all want to be.  Saying goodbye to a lifelong friend, someone who always made me feel special.  Save me a seat, Miss Kathleen.  I love you.  I want to sit by you and Uncle Dillon and Hal.

No comments:

Post a Comment