Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Breakfast on the Porch-A Dog's Story

I have had pets.  I had a cat named Muffin growing up.  I loved that cat.  I dressed her up and she took whatever I dished out to her.  She was my friend.  I would shudder to count the number of pets we have had since we married 23 years ago.  It is probably in the 30's.  They have come and gone for one reason or another.  They were all bubble pets meaning they were on the bubble pending pottying on the carpet and then they were out!  We got a dog.  For the boy.  He was a good dog, a bulging, beastly dog that protected my boy and served his duty well.  He kept the boy from being scared in the house.  Where the boy went, the dog followed.  I guess I loved that dog, but not for myself, I loved that dog for who he was to my boy.  And then there was Zoe.

Once our boy's dog died, and our last cat passed on, I said "No More".  In my deepest thoughts I was thrilled to be done with the mess of animals.  Then one fine day my oldest decided she wanted to get a dog.  About to go to college, I said, "Oh NO!"  We ended up making a deal.  If she would stay away from a toxic situation she had involved herself in then she could have the dog.  It was worth a dog if she would stay out of a bad situation.  Well, she held up to her end of the bargain and she picked out a dog from a breeder.  I thought this had disaster written all over it.  I was gunna be caring for a dog and she was going to graduate and leave for college.  What in the world??  SHE picked out the dog, SHE paid for the dog, SHE called and checked out the breeder, SHE did all the legwork.  I was totally not involved and not interested. Amen.

Well she was cute.

But whatever, I was not involved.
Then she came home and I was determined to teach her to potty train.  She was really cute.  And cuddly.  And sweet.  But whatever, I was not involved.

She was really sweet though.

Which brings me to my story today.  I love the dog.  I don't know what I ever did without her.  I dress her up, play with her, hold her, feed her a bottle.  It's crazy really.  I never thought I could care for an animal like I do this one.  So this morning I was about to feed her breakfast which consists of a fourth of a peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread with a half teaspoon of Angel Eyes(which keeps her face white).  She won't eat the Angel Eyes any other way.  And that is A-ok because, well, she is my baby.  So I sit down on the couch, where I usually do, to pinch the sandwich and feed it to her, and she won't come over to me.  She keeps twisting her head and body toward the door.  I think, well, we have a revelation and the dog needs to go potty.  So I take her out and she stands on the porch then sits on the porch.  She proceeds to look up at me.  I said, "Did you want your breakfast on the porch this morning?"  She jumped up and down and I sat down on the porch and fed her breakfast to her.  Breakfast on the porch.  Alrighty then.  Every animal deserves to be loved like my Zoe.  She found me.  She adopted me.  Thank you, my oldest, for the gift of Zoe, for she brings me great joy every day.  I am involved.  I love her.

I hope you have a fantastic day today!  Hug your loved ones a little tighter today because we don't know if we will be given another moment with them.  Thanks for reading my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment