Sunday, April 21, 2013

No Reading for Me-A Story of Prom Hair

We made an appointment for my oldest to get her prom hair and makeup done at the local beauty school. Upon checking around, the average price for just fixing hair for an event, not even cutting it, is around $80. We are folks on a budget so this was not going to work thus we chose the local beauty school. Reasonably priced, and no cutting to be done, we felt confident in this decision.

The school told us the appointment would take 2 hours so I packed my iPad so I could read while she was getting her hair and makeup done. I also brought my camera to capture these moments on film.
We arrived and waited for our hairdresser. Time passed and our hairdresser was still busy with her previous head of hair. Being at the beauty school I began to pray for whoever was still in that chair for fear the color went awry or the cut was bad. Soon, they called us back and said "she still isn't done so we are going to let you go ahead and get started with this girl." I am from the south and a firm believer that you can say what you want to as long as you include "Bless her/his heart". The girl that was to fix my girl's prom hair had voluntarily made herself the ugliest hairdo I had ever laid eyes on bless her heart. She had shaved half her head and the rest of it she had sewn hair into and you could see where the hair had been sewn into it. It was a sight to behold. I recognized right then that I was not going to get any reading done here today lest my daughter end up with some experiment in terror that the poor hairdresser defined as an updo. And so it began...

My daughter showed the picture of the hair that she wanted and it was confirmed that it could, indeed, be done. She then proceeded to get the can of hairspray announcing that they keep that kind in stock just for her because she singlehandedly goes through cans in a day. Oh my.

Still holding out hope that some reading may be had during this time, the updo was started with the part. She parted my daughters hair just over her ear somewhat in the flavor of a bad combover. I said "oh no no no, we want to go with her natural part up here" and proceeded to show where we wanted the part to be. I also proceeded to put up my iPad resigning myself to the fact that not a word would be read today. Amen.

The teasing commenced, the hairspray blew, the announcement was made that "I don't believe in bobby pins, I just use hairspray, this hair ain't goin nowhere". Indeed it isn't. Now her hair actually was looking fabulous even though there was not a bobby pin 1 in her head and an F5 tornado was not going to move a strand of the hair. It became comical. If you tried to pick up a strand, the entire head of hair would lift up. She looked gorgeous!! Even though you could have thrown a brick at her head and it would not have damaged her skull. She even did a prom jumping picture and her hair stayed totally in place :)

On to makeup, our bless her heart girl was good at makeup. But we didn't escape hairspray. She was spraying my daughter's face with hairspray to set the makeup. What in the world?? Again, when it was finished, she looked gorgeous!!

Our experience at the beauty school was just fine. We got the outcome we desired inspite of the appearance of the gal who did the work. But, I never did get a single word read while I was there...you just can't read while a bless her heart girl works on your girl's hair for fear that in one blink of the eye your daughter may end up half bald or with a part reminiscent of a bad combover. So the moral of the story is: Keep both eyes open when you get an updo at the beauty school! ;)

Enjoy your day! Thank you so much for reading my blog and be sure to go to the Facebook link on the right and "like" my page.

I was telling this hilarious story live and in person to a friend and he wanted to know where I get my books that I read on my iPad. Go to www.bookbub.com and set up your reading preferences and each day they will send you free or deeply discounted books to choose from. You can also set up which device you have whether it be kindle, iPad, etc. Enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. Kind of liike our hair in the 80's. pick up one and the rest follow. I am sooo prepared for Hannah's proms. I learned long ago you are the one to bring with me when in a crisis, they loved us in the emergency room!! Now I know who to bring during prom hair and makeup day! Again, there will be no reading

    ReplyDelete