Friday, April 5, 2013

Learning Sign Language

I have never been a lobbyist.  I have never picketed anything.  I have never been a part of a peaceful demonstration.  I have my opinions, and everyone is entitled to hear my opinions and make them their own, but I have never openly gotten involved in a "cause".  Until now.  The situation with my oldest daughter and her hearing has kicked me to the core and helped me realize what a real need there is in our community.  Do you realize there are exponentially more people who know Spanish and French than there are who can casually communicate it sign language?  I never thought about it.  Out of sight out of mind, I suppose.  We do not live in Spain or Mexico, and we don't live in France, but here in the United States more people can speak those foreign languages that can communicate with a hard of hearing or deaf person.  I can only imagine how dark their world is when the world can't talk to them and they can't talk to the world.

Since I can't change anyone except myself, I decided to learn sign language along with my oldest daughter who has been a lip reader her whole life.  We got a book and DVD and off we go.  I have been working on this for about a week now, and my goal for this week was to learn enough to say hello and "make nice" with the deaf and hard of hearing community that I am driving to an educational event this afternoon.  Goal accomplished.

Wednesday I was in Sears and saw a young man who was clearly deaf.  He had cochlear implants.  I walked up to him and said hello in sign.  Then I said, My name is J.  J was good enough for a name for myself for now because I didn't have time to learn my whole name in sign.  He lit up like a Christmas tree when I talked to him in his language.  I rest my case...  He said His name was_____.  I said what I thought was Nice to meet you.  His interpreter corrected me and said, "No, you just told him it was nice to divorce him."  WHOOPS!!  The young man laughed and I laughed and the interpreter showed me how to sign Nice to meet you.  One finger off and you have a whole new meaning in sign.    I went on my way very pleased to be able to converse with this young man when three weeks ago, I would have not thought another thing of it, would have continued my shopping and he would have continued on his way.  I ran into that young man again out it the parking lot and he (with a large smile) signed, "Nice to see you."  I signed nice to see you back to him.  My life is complete.

Wednesday I went to my first sign language class.  Needless today I was as lost as a BB in a boxcar.  But I picked up a few words, and next week I will pick up a few more.

www.aslpro.com is a fabulous website to learn sign language.  There are also books that can help you learn.


The Sign Club Co. is the local not for profit organization that's goal is to create a community of casual signers as well as bring awareness to the community about abuse of the deaf and hard of hearing.  Like them on Facebook.

I hope today that I get my signs right, but if I don't, it is just alrighty!!  Because the fact of the matter is that I had the courage to try.  Let's all be lifelong learners and learn something new today.  I have a long way to go with my sign language, but I am determined to learn it and make one more person in this community that can talk to those who can't hear.  Maybe this time next week I can be Jen.  Then I can be Jenni.  Then I will finally be Jennifer.  I don't care what they call me, I just want them to call me.  Today, I am J.

Now that is a point to ponder!

1 comment:

  1. “Since I can't change anyone except myself, I decided to learn sign language along with my oldest daughter who has been a lip reader her whole life.” - Awww, I'm touched and glad that you did it. She needs communication from you more than anyone else. Good luck on your learning! You might get lost a little at the beginning, but it will be worth it. =)

    Lynelle Mcbee

    ReplyDelete