Monday, April 8, 2013

Getting in Touch with your Inner Groovy-Making Your Own Fruit Arrangement

Spending money on things that don't last is not one of my favorite things to do.  So when my daughter's 18th birthday rolled around last week and she asked for an edible arrangement, I thought, well ok, she is 18, I will get her an edible arrangement.  I stuck with that plan until I went into the shop and saw the price sheet.  My diabolical mind immediately went into action to figure out how in the world could I make one?  One trip to the grocery and a few dollars later and I am ready to create my own edible arrangement.  You can make one too.

First I gathered the fruits she would want from the produce department, bought a flower shaped cookie cutter, some wooden skewers, a metal "pot" from the dollar store, a piece of floral foam to put in the pot to hold the skewers, and a tray of almond bark to dip the strawberries in to make them chocolate covered.  
 I washed the fruit then cut the apple and orange into wedges.  I dipped the wedges into sprite so that they would not turn brown.  It worked because two days later the apple wedges were still nice and pretty.  I dipped the strawberries into the almond bark after melting it according to the package directions.  I opened the pineapple and cut the circle pieces into flower shapes using the flower cookie cutter I bought at the grocery store.  When you finish cutting the pineapples into flower shapes, stick the skewer into it and through the center hole.  Fill the center hole with a grape and it makes an adorable flower with a grape center.  I also cut a number 1 and a number 8 freehand from pineapple for the arrangement.  After I stuck each piece of fruit on a skewer, I trimmed some of the skewers lower than others so the arrangement would be pleasing to the eye.  The arrangement lasted and was fresh until it was all eaten in about 24 hours.  Sprite worked beautifully to keep the fruit fresh.  Here is a picture of the finished product.  I put a dab of Easter grass in the bottom of the pot just to make it look pretty.  Voila!!  For a fraction of the price of an edible arrangement, she got an edible arrangement.

Of course if you want to order an edible arrangement, they do have a website :)
www.ediblearrangements.com
Theirs are very nice and beautiful.  I would love to have bought one, but I am a woman on a budget.  They have an arrangement for every occasion and a nice catalog to pick out of.

Happy Birthday, My Sweet Love!  I can't believe you are 18.  I can believe you are beautiful, you are smart, you are kind, compassionate, you are a Christian.  I am proud.

Get in touch with your inner groovy with this project!  Thanks so much for reading my blog.  Please leave comments if you are so inclined.  



No comments:

Post a Comment