Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Everyday Extraordinary

Vacations are so exciting.  So much fun and anticipation is involved in a big event.  The big game.  The Super Bowl.  The birth of a baby.  Your wedding day.  Your anniversary.  Christmas.  Birthdays.  The fact is that these are all exciting times.  We put a lot of planning and focus into each one of these events.  Each event is one day.  One single day.  There are 365 days in a year.  If we are waiting for the vacation then we have 51 weeks of the year to be set in mundane routine.  If we are only thrilled on Christmas then we have 364 days to be mundane.  Each and every one of these big events are wonderful but I am suggesting that we can find extraordinary in our everyday lives if we open our eyes.

Have you ever just taken time to marvel at the beauty that is all around us?  Taken time to observe a child playing on a playground?  Looked at the moon with the weird rings around it like it is tonight?  These things are everyday extraordinary.  Put on a crazy hat just to feel extraordinary?

Things are there most of the time, every day, but we may be so thick in work, errands, Christmas shopping, electronics and phones that we just completely miss the extraordinary that is right in front of our faces 365 days a year.  We are waiting for the big things and miss the small things that are quite exciting if we take the time to digest their majesty.  Children are our best example of embracing everyday extraordinary.  Loving life every minute, seizing the moment, delighting in a hosepipe in the middle of summer.



Sometimes we focus so much on the problems that we have that we forget to be thankful for the problems that we don't have.  I have always heard it said that if we all were to lay our problems out on tables and were able to go around a pick a set of problems to have that we would all choose our own because they are things we know.  I believe this with every thread of my being.  I believe we have problems to help mold us into the people of character that we are.  I hope that every problem I encounter I come out on the other side a better person than I started with.

For me, a daily trip to Sonic is a beautiful thing.  An everyday Christmas, and everyday vacation, an everyday extraordinary.  When I pull in the parking lot I just feel happy.  I don't know exactly why I feel so happy there but I do.  Some days I may just get a drink.  Other days I may have a snack there, and other days it may be lunch.  Sonic puts a little extraordinary into my ordinary life.  Thus I go there every day.

 Small thing, big feeling, extraordinary.


Puppy kisses and walks down the street with my pups is another vacation for me.  This vacation happens at least 4 times per day.  I enjoy seeing Charlie skip down the sidewalk(I never knew a dog could skip but Charlie does).  I love to watch Lola learning to walk on a leash and following Charlie.  It is like a birthday party 4 times per day.  Everyday extraordinary.  I don't have to wait for my vacation to come around once a year.  I get it many times per day in my everyday extraordinary life.

It is all in the way you look at things.  Look for the silver lining in every single mundane task.  Believe it or not there is a fun part to every not fun thing there is to do.  Embrace everyday life as extraordinary.  Everyday Extraordinary.

I challenge us all to find fun in the ordinary tasks of life this week.  Let me know what you discover!  I will be waiting to hear.  This way, we don't have to wait a year or two for the big vacation, we are experiencing that kind of elation and release several times a day rather than once a year.  Sounds much better than the big waiting game, thinking if we "get through" this then we can "get to" that.  Embrace the moment and find the good in it.  It is there if we just look for it.

Planning for spring events is well underway so don't forget to have me come speak at your event.  Spots are filling up so let me know soon so you can secure your time needed.  Visit my website at www.funthoughtsonlife.com with information on how to contact me and what subjects I have already developed.

Thanks for reading my blog and embrace your everyday extraordinary!

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment