Friday, December 27, 2013

Training for Goofy

I signed up for the Walt Disney World Marathon last spring. I was pretty readily convinced I should sign up for Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge. It is a half marathon on Saturday and a full marathon on Sunday. What was I thinking??  I have run no less than 14 miles on a Saturday since June. I have missed a few runs but not many. I ran the majority of the runs barefooted with the five finger sleeves. 

If you are running more than 3 miles at a time then it isn't for exercise. It is for some other reason. It may be to increase your mental stamina. It may be to purge demons from your head. It may be to socialize, or to get some time alone with your thoughts. Whatever the reason it isn't for exercise. 3 miles will be for exercise. The rest is a mission. 

I would like to share a few of my favorite moments from my training season for Goofy. 

My favorite running moment from this season is the 14.5 mile run where I got to know a friend much better. We talked about our children and she was listening to me ramble about this and that and suggested it was not right to keep these thoughts to myself. She suggested I become a motivational speaker and author. She had contacts that put me into the fast track and as you know, all this is reality now. This would not have happened had I not been training for Goofy.   Many miles have been run over the last 6 months and many of the worlds problems have been solved while pounding the pavement. 

One August Saturday, I had been up all night from an all night hockey tournament. I ran anyway. By mile 9 I was toast. One of my buddies grabbed my hand and said he was tired too and that we would share energy. It was super amazing to me how it really worked. We shared energy and both were able to finish the run. Never would have happened without training for Goofy. 

We all discovered that peanut butter and jelly uncrustables are the best training fuel on the planet.   They are even better than Gu or sport beans. One about mile 8 is perfect. Another at mile 16 is icing on the  energy cake. 

We finished a 18 mile run when one of my buddies suggested we sign up for the Loonies Midnight Marathon the next Saturday which is a marathon that starts at midnight. I said, "Wash your mouth out!!"  I was NOT running any midnight marathon. This beauty needs her rest. 

I'm not gunna sugar coat the training for this event. It has been hard. There were many times I wanted to give up and not train. It stinks to be out running for 4+ hours every Saturday. These people have made it worth it. They are some of my best friends. 
On the 23 mile training run at about mile 12 one of my buds asked me, "How are you doing?"  I said, "I am NOT having fun."  She didn't say anything but took off to catch up with some buds in front of us and yelled, "Hey Mr. Motivation!  We have one back here not having fun!"  He dropped back and gave me a pep talk I will never forget. I finished that run that day and had fun along the way thanks to my buddies. 

Today was the next to the last training run for Goofy. Today we did 10 miles and tomorrow we are doing 20 to prepare us for the back to back races at Disney. Our race is in two weeks. The training is about over and the fun will begin!  I am so excited about this adventure. 

I can't think of anyone I would rather go to Disney World and run farther than people should than the Dopey crew. We will reach the culmination of lots of hard work and determination together in Orlando Florida at the Happiest Place on Earth in two weeks. Bring it!  

Thanks for reading my blog. Please subscribe in the box at the right. If you are on a mobile device scroll to the bottom and click on view web version the. You can find te box to subscribe. Visit my website at www.funthoughtsonlife.com and don't forget to invite me to speak at your next event. 

Happy Holidays!
Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment