Monday, June 24, 2013

YOMO-You Only Mud Once

I love fun races. And Saturday was one lof the most fun I have ever done. I did the Muddy Buddy race with one of my best buddies. It was the first urban Muddy Buddy which meant it was in the middle of downtown Nashville as opposed to being in a field somewhere which is where most mud races are held. I was intrigued as to how they would have a mud run in the middle of downtown but I was excited to participate! 

There was a costume contest so of course my buddy and I wanted to participate. We decided to dress up as a lifeguard and a swimmer. My goal was to look as ridiculous as I possibly could. My buddy was genius when she used duct tape to make a Red Cross on her white tank and shorts. Add some zinc oxide to her nose, a whistle and viola!  lifeguard!  I got a child's swim ring and squeezed myself into it, threw on some swim trunks, a flower necklace, a pair of goggles, a swim mask, and sunglasses and I looked about as ridiculous as I could imagine. Perfection achieved. 
The announcer called for all costume contest entrants to come to the stage. We were pumped feeling that we had a good chance. The judging commenced and based on crowd participation, the winner would be crowned. We were announced as the "swimmies" and my buddy and I busted the best moves we had on the stage as the announcer said "They have worked for weeks on this dance!"  Well the truth was that we were just strutting our respective stuff in all randomness but we totally looked put together :). The semi finalists were brought back to the stage for final judging. We did not make semifinals. We were crushed after thinking we looked amazing for a mud run. Ultimately,the  winners were two chicks dressed in pink dresses and they had sashes on that said Grime Queen. I will give them credit, the pink false eyelashes really did look amazing for a mud run. Congratulations Grime Queens :)

The first wave was about to start and we needed a drink of water. None to be found at the starting area so as we passed by a Gator type vehicle we spotted a cooler. What could possibly be in a cooler except something cold to drink??  Bingo!  Ice cold water!!  Thank you, anonymous donor of water to the Swimmies. 

Hydrated, we lined up to start the race. It was so exciting to get started!  Now my buddy totally rocked the obstacles!  Especially the rope obstacles. Having passed out stone cold at the top of one of the Warrior Dash obstacles I had already told myself that I was NOT going to be above walking around an obstacle. I stuck to my guns but was super proud of myself when I conquered an obstacle of rock climbing then rope on the other side. I was going to skip that one but changed my mind and conquered it. There was one obstacle that we tried but just couldn't do. It was a knotted rope you had to climb straight up then ring a bell. Ummm, chicks with little upper body strength here and children to raise :). I love to have fun but I have sense too. It's a total package ;)

I was super proud of my buddy when she scaled the obstacle that was similar to the one I passed out on at Warrior Dash. I skipped this one for mental more than physical reasons. She made it to the top and a spotter helped to pull her over but it was just too difficult so she had to go back down. I was so proud she gave it her all. Sometimes it isn't if we finish more as it is having the courage to start. 

And, the mud pit. There is a reason that people pay big bucks to have mud masks and go to mud spas. It is good for your skin plus it exfoliates and it is oh so much fun to just get crazy muddy. 
After we finished the race we want back to the mud pit to pose for pictures :)
The one above was taken by a Metro police officer :) Umm that's right. We rock like that. 
I personally liked this race better than warrior dash for several reasons. One is that the obstacles were not as technical as Warrior Dash. If you are looking for technical tough obstacles then Warrior Dash is a great choice!  I loved that the Muddy Buddy was a team race where there were obstacles that you had to work together with your partner. We had so much fun with that. Urban Muddy Buddy was more technical running and farther. We had to run up the ramps to the top of Titans stadium twice. It was tough but I liked it. Warrior Dash was 3 miles. Muddy Buddy was 4.3. 

After the race was over a sock vendor gave out stickers with numbers and we were supposed to find the person who had the matching number. We saw a couple of folks that found their match. We never did in spite of tireless effort to win free socks. We were convinced that some numbers did not have matches.

Another fabulous day, another wonderfully fun race!  Thanks so much for reading my blog. Subscribe in the box to the right and you will receive updates when I write a new post. 

Jennifer






No comments:

Post a Comment