Monday, June 17, 2013

The Bachelor/Bachelorette

I like watching the Bachelor. Not because I believe they really can find love on the show but more because it is just plain hilarious to me. I think a lot of it is staged and written in a script of some sort. I could be wrong. I also have my children watch it with me. Hold your aghast faces and opinions and just hear my reasoning. I am giving my opinion today not to change your mind about how you feel but to give you something to think about. 

I use the Bachelor/Bachelorette as a dating teaching tool for my children. I have found it to be incredibly useful. Where else can you get a bunch of different personalities displayed in a venue were you can actually discuss what is good and bad about that persons's behavior?  I discuss morals with my children. We talk about who seems to have some and who doesn't and how can you tell. Then we apply this to real life. I tell my children that everyone has a bag of faults. When selecting a mate, you choose a bag of faults you can live with. Then we discuss who has a bag of faults that each of my children could live with from the Bachelor. Each of my children have a list of qualities that they could live with and a list of qualities that they can't handle. If they encounter a possible date in real life that has a quality that is on their "no" list then they move on. I have taught them that dating has a purpose. It's purpose is to help you figure out what qualities you can live with or not live with in a spouse. If I can guide them through the selection process in a hypothetical situation then I believe it to be a safer option than live dating. I am by no means saying my children shouldn't and don't date. What I am saying is when they have no emotions involved with a hypothetical situation on tv then they are more likely to make a good decision in a real person.  Plus it gives excellent chance to laugh and roll eyes together at some of the behaviors. 

I came to much of this philosophy after I recaptured my daughter from the hands of the devil himself from a toxic relationship. I began to realize there had to be a way to teach good and bad qualities in people without having emotion involved. When they date, you can't knock a lick of sense into them because they believe they are "in love". The Bachelor gives the opportunity to size up suitors without having the emotional involvement. That way, when Prince Charming comes riding in on his white horse, our kids can identify if the prince's horse has a broken leg or not. Son or daughter, it matters not. The Bachelor/Bachelorette is an excellent daring teaching tool for teen and Tweens. 

Now that is a point to ponder. 

Thank you for reading my blog. Please subscribe in the column at the right. You will receive email when I have a new post. Have a fabulous evening!!

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment