Saturday, November 16, 2013

Elf on the Shelf as a Parenting Tool

If the Elf on the Shelf is one of the categories for achieving the illustrious title of Mom of the Year, then I am completely out of the running.  I can not keep up with some of these moms who seem to plan all year what they will do with the elf each day.  They must stay up all night staging some of the Elf feats.  I do well to move him from place to place.  In fact, at least half the time, I wake up and scramble to find a new spot because I forgot to move him before bed.  Don't get me wrong, I love seeing all the antics of the Elves around town, but I do not strive to compete.  My youngest will come home and tell of what her friend's elves have done the night before when hers somehow stayed in the same place.  "Wonder why he didn't move, Mommy?"  "Well, I suspect the elf kinda liked that spot."  (reality is that mom was tired and old and forgetful)
The Elf on the Shelf®: A Christmas Tradition (includes blue-eyed girl pixie elf)


I recently saw where one mom had created a calendar and produced it for the month of December where she outlined an antic per day for the elf.  She actually reviewed the Pinterest posts and online posts and compiled 30 days worth of her favorites into calendar form.  Good grief.  That makes me want to lay down.  I like to mix in an antic every now and then but the scavenger hunt each morning is enough for us here at the Anglin home although it is incredibly unusual to have an underachieving elf here in a home full of overachievers :)


I have found the elf to be an excellent parenting tool all through the year.  In June, when some lying was going on for random silly stuff, the elf made a surprise appearance on the top of the kitchen cabinets.  It was a one night gig for our elf but he made a huge impact on the behaviors we were trying to correct.  My youngest was shocked to see him on the cabinets in June and I promptly said, "Hmmmm.  Maybe Santa sent him to let you know you need to correct some of your behaviors."  We did not have any more trouble with her behavior :)

Another grand event where the elf showed up to correct behavior was a mastermind if I say so myself.  My youngest had pulled the wool over my eyes and I did not know she had a test that day because she told me it was the next week.  So needless to say, she did not study.  I found out from another mom in the class after she got on the bus that the test was indeed that day.  Scratching my head, I quickly devised a plan....

My youngest got off the bus, came in the house to usual conversation.  How was school, etc.  Then I said, "Why don't you run out and get the mail for me."  She bounced out to get it and came in waving a letter along with the rest of the mail.  "MOM MOM!  It is a letter from Buddy!!(our elf)  OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!"  She quickly ripped it open and started reading it aloud.  It read:

Dear (I leave her name out due to my blog being public),
I watch you each and every day.  I am very pleased with your behavior overall.  I was shocked and saddened that you kept the science test you had today from your parents.  It isn't like you to be that way.  I hope you will confess your deception and make it right with your parents.  I know you will do the right thing.
Love,
Buddy

In shame, she confessed what she did and I didn't have to say a word about it.  I just listened to her and she learned a big lesson from a little elf doll that shows up once a year for a month.

I challenge us all to think outside the box and use the elf on the shelf as a parenting tool.  It has been very useful to us here at the Anglin compound.  No, we may not win any awards for elf antics but I am not so sure that was the purpose originally of the elf in the first place.  The way I see it is he is fun to have around, and can be brought out when he needs to correct something big or something that has gotten out of hand.  Try it.  And email me to let me know what you did.  I would love to hear your stories!

Have a fabulous weekend!!
Jennifer


1 comment:

  1. Our elf will deliver letters from Santa if we are not behaving as we should. I will keep him out all year for an occasional appearance if needed. Thanks Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete