Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Living Life in a Negative Split

I was out running this morning with one of my best running friends.  We wore it out today in spite of the fact that my legs and feet felt like cement.  I know why too.  Sugar is poison and I have had a lot of it lately.  My weakness is sugar cookies with frosting on them.  Sadly, I made some and it is like introducing the devil into my home.  I have eaten too many of the delicious confection and I felt it in my run today.  However, I let my mind defeat my body and I ran well today.  In fact, I got a negative split on my training run.  One of my running buddies pointed out to me that I get negative splits often.  I had not thought about it but I do.  For those who don't know, a negative split is where you run the second half of the run at a faster pace than the first half.  Most people struggle to get a negative split and I get them often without really trying.  I know why.  My body feels like trash when I start running.  I don't start feeling good until the second half of the run.  It is a wonder I didn't give up running long ago because of this very problem that turns out to be in my benefit.  I remember thinking this morning when I was half dead at mile 3, "You are gunna feel great soon, Sister!"  and I did.  I think we tend to give up when we feel like trash instead of persevering knowing that something better is coming.
The first part of the run you almost always feel like trash.

At the end, you feel better as long as you don't go out too fast and overexert yourself early on.  Life is a marathon, not a sprint, so go at it steadily so you have energy at the end.

Hold hands and stick together and we will get negative splits in the run called life.


Today in my run, I realized that a negative split is what we should strive for in life.  Our life here on earth is the first part of the run.  Many times we feel like trash, like cement is bogging us down.  Sometimes we give in, make bad decisions, do what feels good and end up not getting to the good part because we give up too soon.  Maybe because it is just too hard.  Maybe because we don't want to keep going.  Maybe because we just get beat down with life.  I encourage us all including myself to not give up, to lean on God, and to keep waiting for the good part(Heaven), knowing that life here on Earth is the first part of the run.  We will feel like trash most of the time, but soon, we will feel great.  We just have to keep moving to get to that sweet spot that by faith we know is there.

Thanks so much for reading my blog.  Saturday is my first speaking engagement as Fun Thoughts on Life.  I pray that it is a success and that God says what He wants to say through me.  Please subscribe to receive updates when I write a new blog.  There is a box to the right if you are on a desktop or laptop.  If you are on a mobile device, then scroll to the bottom and click "view desktop site".  Then the box at the right will be there.  Thanks for reading :)

Have a wonderful day and be sure to work on a negative split.
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment