Sunday, February 23, 2014

Uniquely Genius

I had the privilege of taking a busload of youth from our church to ski at Paoli Peaks over the past holiday weekend.  We spent 4 days together.  I loved skiing with the kids, playing games with the kids, building snowmen, having snowball fights, making snow angels, listening to music, crying, laughing, talking about everything or nothing at all.  The best part of the trip was being able to see the teens in a non-educational environment and being able to appreciate them for who they are.  Not who the "educational system" thinks they should  be.  Let me elaborate a bit on what I mean.

Everyone wants the straight A kid to be theirs.  Straight A kids are awesome!  Many don't have to bust it to make the A's.  They are just gifted with intelligence.  Not that they are all gifted to be in a special gifted program but more just that they are what generalities would deem to be smart kids.  I loved being with this group of kids this weekend because it didn't matter what grades they made in school this weekend.  They could play cards, games, ski, snowboard, build snowmen and all be on a level playing field.  I had no idea who was "smart" and who had to work themselves to death to make C's.  It did not matter.  I love that.  Sometimes I think we judge kid's worth or value on what they can make on a report card rather than focus on the whole child and how well rounded they are.

When are children are born, we want them to be the best at everything.  We want them to be the smartest, the most beautiful, the first to do everything.  And until they go to school, they are because they are perfect in our eyes.  When they go to school, suddenly they are judged on the world's scale and it isn't always as pretty as we dreamed it would be.  I have been blessed with three average children.  They are not the best academically in any area.  They are simply average.  In my house, we celebrate D's if we worked hard to get them.  I am suggesting that average is good.

Back to the ski trip, it occurred to me that everyone was on a level playing field.  No one had a "diagnosis" of ADHD, Autism, Gifted, Average or any other possible category that children are placed in while attending school.  Everyone was just there to have fun.  None of those categories mattered. It is so good for kids to get away from school and escape on a retreat.  Home is one of those retreat places.  Coming home from school is a chance to get away from categories.  It did not matter what you made on your last report card during the snowman building competition.  I loved that.  I loved watching the kids interact and have a great time together.  I loved watching kids laugh and cry together.  Kids loving Jesus.  Kids loving each other.  It was a blessing to me just to be there.

By no means am I trying to criticize the educational system.  I think there are things that are great about our educational system and also things that could be improved.  I understand that sometimes a label is a useful tool.  But I am also suggesting that it is wonderful to throw off labels and just be kids.  Just play.  Just enjoy.  Just be ourselves.  I enjoyed seeing 60 teens just being themselves this past weekend.

I think Albert Einstein said it best when he said, "Everyone is a genius.  But if we judge a fish on it's ability to climb a tree it will spend it's whole life believing it is stupid."  Today I am thankful that I had the chance to spend some time with some awesome kids who could climb trees, swim, snowboard, play games, identify music like Name that Tune, and just be themselves.  And no one lined them up and asked them all to climb a rope and ring a bell.  For if they were, some would believe they were not athletic.  We just embraced the students and enjoyed their talents.  Maybe we all need to be a little more tolerant of differences and appreciate that God made us all different.  He made us all uniquely genius.


Thanks so much for reading my blog.  I am so excited to see what God has in store for me with the launch of my first book too!  (If I ever finish it and come up with a name for it)  Please subscribe to my musings by putting your email address in the box at the right.  If you are on a mobile device, scroll to the bottom and click on "View Web Version" then the box will appear at the right.  Invite me to speak at your next event.

Until next time,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment