Monday, February 3, 2014

Calls from God, Conversations and Cottage Cheese

Before I get into today's blog post I would like to thank you all for reading!  This post today is my 101 blog post.  It amazes me every day that anyone would want to read my musings.  But you do, and I am grateful.  If I make a difference in just one person then it is worth the effort to put down my thoughts in a blog.

A few weeks ago I mentioned that God speaks directly to me.  There are several reasons why, but the main one is that I feel like God is my screenplay writer and I am just the lead actress in a drama.  His drama production is perfection.  I sit back and act as I feel led. I have spent a lot of years trying to control every little thing in my life and it doesn't work.  So now I just let the Holy Spirit lead me.  That being said, let me get to my new job.  Yes, new job.  No, we are not in financial trouble and Jennifer had to go to work.  No, Jennifer was not looking for a job.  No, Jennifer didn't need a job.  BUT, God needed Jennifer to act.  Which brings me to my phone call from God.


Two weeks ago, I was sitting folding laundry minding my own business when I got a phone call from an unknown number.  Generally, I don't answer unknown numbers but I felt like I should so I did.  It was a phone call from God.  He needed me.  He used the activities director at a local assisted living and memory care facility to bring me where I needed to be right now.  Here is cornbread language:  The activities director at a local old folks home called out of the clear blue sky and said that their bus driver was injured and he needed a CDL driver to help him out.  I immediately said, "Sure, I would love to help!"  Well, since I wasn't looking for a job, I didn't expect to go for an interview, fill out masses of paperwork, etc. but I was apparently official :)  The gentleman who called me asked me when I could come in for an interview and I said, "My children are home for a snow day today."  He said, "You can bring them with you."  I knew then that he really needed my help.  So, I went for the interview, updated my resume, etc.  I ended up going for my drug test, background check, and mounds of paperwork for my new "job".

I didn't see this as a job at all.  I am a stay at home mom.  But God needed me at the facility.  So I went.  I have been working there for 3 days now.  I went to help out the Activities Director by driving the bus.  Instead I am the one who is on the receiving end of this deal.  I feel as full as I ever have in my life.  God has me right where He needs me right now.  I have met many residents, and although I can't remember all of their names, I know them when I see them and they know me.  My job is basically to be their beck and call driver.  They sign up on a list if they have a doctor's appointment, need to go to walmart, the grocery, bank, or anywhere.  I take them, wait for them, and bring them back.  I love it.  I feel like I am making a difference.
Friday, I took a lady to visit her husband who is in another nursing home in Gallatin.  Before I left, I went around and asked if any of the other residents needed to go anywhere in Gallatin.  No takers this time, but one lady did say she needed some cottage cheese.  She gave me the money for the cheese and I was on my way to Gallatin.  The conversation was nice on the way to the nursing home.  We talked about many things including how many children we have.  We also talked about alzheimers disease and how horrible it is.  The lady's husband has it.  God had me right at the correct place and the right time.  Since we have been dealing with alzheimers disease with my mother in law, I knew just what to say and talk about to make her feel better about her husband.  After I picked her up later in the day, we were talking and she said, "Me and you are just good friends.  Isn't this only your second day?"  I said, "Yes."  She said, "Well I love you and we are going to be just fine together."  My life is complete.  Back to the cottage cheese, I brought the resident back the cottage cheese, took it to her in her room, and she was so excited!  I stuck my head in the door and said, "Cottage Cheese delivery!"  She said, "Oh my goodness that was fast!"  Then I got out the cheese from the bag and handed it to her and she said, "HOW did you know that I like Daisy brand cottage cheese?"  I said, "Well, God just laid it on my heart to choose Daisy.  I am glad you like it."  She said, "You have made my day."  My life is complete again.  Conversations and Cottage cheese-Changing lives one curd and one word at a time.



ONE CURD, ONE WORD

I am excited to be doing what God wants me to do right now.  One day, the regular bus driver will be healthy again and I will only be on an as needed basis.  But for now, I will drive regularly and spread joy through Conversations and Cottage Cheese.  Today I leave you with a conversation between me and an elderly gentleman on my first day:

Me:  Hi!  I'm Jennifer, the new bus driver.
Man:  Well I am ____. (Names always left out to protect those who may not want to be blogged about)
Me: Nice to meet you, _____.  I am going to Walmart at 1 today, do you need to go?
Man:  Well, we need to do something about your hair before we go to Walmart.
Me:  Yes!  We do.  What do we need to do with it?
Man:  We need to comb it or maybe a wig would do.
Me:  I think so too!  This morning a beaver attacked me and chewed my hair off!
Man:  That sounds scary!

I was surprised that I made it until noon of my first day before someone said something about my hair.  I was super excited that finally someone said something!  Again, thanks so much for reading my blog!  You can subscribe to it by entering your email address in the box at the right.  If you are on a mobile device, scroll to the bottom and click on View Web Version.  Then you will see the box on the right.  If you subscribe, then you will receive an email each time I update my blog.  Also , don't forget to hire me to speak at your next event!  I can speak on your topic or mine.

Have a great day and don't forget to let me know how God speaks to you!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment