Saturday, March 30, 2013

Let's Get Moving in the Right Shoes

Our idea for weight loss is not dieting.  It is more simple than that.  It is Eat Less, Move More.  Quite a few have started the podcast for the Couch to 5K program.  Don't get discouraged if it is hard to get going.  Remember the hardest step for a runner/walker is tying your shoes and getting out the door.  I write on the inside of my running shoes with permanent marker this sentiment, "This is the hardest part."  That way when I tie my shoes I know I am doing great because I am going to exercise once I get my shoes on.  Once you get in the habit, it will become much easier.  Trust me.  It is scary to try something new, to vow to eat less and move more, but we will be free when we take time out for ourselves, for only then it will make us a better mom/dad, a better wife/husband, a better employee, a better servant of God.  Just the simple fact that we refuse to diet and we won't deprive ourselves is motivation enough to know that we can be successful.  We won't create cravings, desperation for foods, or lack of motivation.  Slow and steady wins the race.

Let's talk about what kind of shoes to run/walk/move more in. I know it is hard to believe when you have not even run that first step, that you will eventually be replacing your running shoes about every 4 months. Some like being fitted for your first pair. This is a fabulous idea if you have a lot of money to invest right away, and are certain you are going to stick with it. When I got up off the couch and started running, I started in the pair that I had in the closet for casual wear. After all, everyone laughed me into next week when I made the declaration anyway, so why would I invest in shoes if I was only going to run a time or two. I would start with Asics GT 1000-a great, middle of the road shoe that can be bought online for a reasonable price. Run/walk in those for 3-4 months and see if this is something you are going to stick with. If it is, then go get fitted for some higher end shoes. If you want to get fitted right away, go to the Athlete's House downtown. It is my experience that they are the most knowlegeable and kind crowd of runners.   Although I have gone and been fitted into expensive running shoes, I ultimately go back to my tried and true Asics GT 1000.  Below is a link to order you a pair.  They run true to size so if you wear an 8.5 then order an 8.5.  www.shoes.com provides free shipping both ways so you can order them and if they don't fit you can ship them back for free and get another size.  It is truly hassle free shopping.  They have super cool colors in this model also!  When you click on the grey and blue shoes below, you can see the other color options as well.




Some of you have mentioned having knee and leg pain as you have started moving more.  For me, the shoes were everything.  In fact, when my legs and knees start hurting, I know it is my signal to buy new shoes.  If you need the link to Couch to 5K it is in a previous blog post.  Search for Couch to 5K in my search box on the right to find that post.

Thanks for reading my blog and please subscribe using the Subscribe to button on the right column of the page so you will know right away when I update with a new post.  Tonight I will leave you with a little motivation to get you going.


Now that is a point to ponder.

Happy Easter Everybunny!!



No comments:

Post a Comment