Monday, March 17, 2014

The Gift of Hearing

Last year, almost exactly a year ago, my oldest daughter was diagnosed with profound hearing loss. She got hearing aids and, much like the man who dipped three times in the river Jordan, was healed. Our audiologist informed me that my daughter's hearing loss was hereditary. I immediately thought she must have gotten it from me because I never have thought I heard very good.  So I not only had my hearing tested but the rest of my family too. No one else had it except me. I was diagnosed with mild hearing loss. Hearing aids are rediculously expensive if you get quality ones. So we opted to purchase them for my daughter and not for me for the time being. 

Last Tuesday, I was driving an adorable little ole'Blue Hair to the doctor's office and she said something to me. I asked her to repeat herself not once, twice, three times, but FOUR times and I still didn't hear what she said. I agreed to whatever she said as not to have her repeat herself again. That afternoon I got to thinking "I have no idea what I agreed to with my little lady friend."  Then I went to the audiologist and had my hearing tested again. Same diagnosis as last year for me. Mild hearing loss and severe tinnitus. My ears have rung very loudly in a very high pitch for my whole life. I thought everyone's ears rung like mine do. But in my adult years, I discovered that my ears ring and others's don't. 

I was fitted with hearing aids that day just to give me a chance to see if they made a difference. The doctor said my form of hearing loss was like trying to play a piano when half the keys are missing. Sometimes you may be able to make out the song that was being played because the melody uses keys that are on that piano. Other times, I may not make out what is being played because the melody used keys that aren't on my piano. Which explains why I can hear some people and things and not hear other people and things. 

I am extremely proud of my hearing aids. I feel like I have been healed of an infirmity that I did not realize I had. I have shown them to anyone who would look at me. I am so proud I can hear. And the moment they put them on me, the ringing quit. When I take them out, the ringing starts again. I don't have to cup my ears to hear anymore. 


Here are some discoveries from the world of hearing for me:  
1. The microwave scared me to death. It must have been in the range of pitch that I couldn't hear. I didn't realize it made noise when it cooked. 
2. My oldest daughter's voice is beautiful. I could hear her before but now her voice sound like a real person and not a 2 dimensional person. She must not have been completely in my range of hearing. 
3.  My other two children and my husband's voices are the same. They must have been in my range. 
4.  At church yesterday, the singing was beautiful. It always sounded like only sopranos were singing. Now I can hear the harmony in 3D. Before it sounded like 2D. I kept plucking my hearing aids out to hear what it used to sound like and was overly amazed with the new sounds. When I take my aids out I feel like someone is shoving bananas in my ears and expecting me to hear. 
5.  Money was not in my range of hearing. I was in kohl's and the lady was counting down her drawer and I kept looking for where the ceiling was falling in or someone was throwing rocks through the window. Then I realized that money made a clinking sound when you toss it in a drawer. No telling what a ceiling falling or a rock going through a window really sounds like. 😳
6. When I take my hearing aids out, my ears feel physically heavy. I always felt like I wanted to go have my ears washed out because they felt so full of something. Now I know that they were heavy from not being able to hear all sounds. Once I put my hearing aids in, they feel light as a feather. It is really strange. I feel like a baby who is discovering the world. The bonus is that I am not a baby and I have enough wisdom to truly appreciate being able to hear. 
7.  The most noticeable difference is that I don't talk super loud anymore. I have always talked loud. I thought I was just a loud person. I'm not a loud person. I was a person with hearing loss. I talk softly now. It's very noticeable. 
8.  I have found myself to suddenly be very quiet. I am enjoying doing more listening than talking. It's like discovering the world all over again. Did you know that birds make a chirping sound and little dogs bark in a high pitch?  I just found that out. I also just found out that you can listen to the radio on low volume and still hear it. I have always listened to my music loud-or so people said. It's sounded fine to me. Now I listen to it low like most people do and I can hear it just fine. 

On this St. Patrick's Day, may we all appreciate our hearing, may the wind always be at our backs, and may we all be grateful for the gift of hearing. All glory to God for healing my ears with aids. 


Please subscribe to my blog in the box at the right. You can fill in your email address and will receive email updates when a new blog hits the press. If you are on a mobile device, scroll to the bottom and click on "view Web version". Then you will see the box to subscribe. Don't forget to hire me for your next event to speak!  

Have a great evening and enjoy the sound of a toilet flush and appreciate the fact that you can hear it!
Jennifer 

No comments:

Post a Comment