Monday, March 31, 2014

Loss is Gain

I had the best, most exhausting weekend I have had in a long time. In the face of tragedy, I watched The Lord work His magic. I was so blessed to have a front seat for the show. God is the best screenplay writer there is. We are all actors in His drama. 

My 43 year old cousin died tragically on Friday. He just didn't wake up. It is always sad for a young person to pass. My heart aches for his wife and two young children as they are left to live life without their father and husband. 

Growing up, my cousin and I were like peas and carrots. We played together while our parents visited our grandmother. We were the closest in age of all the cousins and we both were the two youngest of the cousins. As adults, we had only seen each other once in past years. At that time I met his wife and first born. My cousin taught me how to suck a honeysuckle. I will never forget that day. We had gone to his house in the country and we played outside while our dads visited. He took me to the row of honeysuckle and showed me how to eat one. Life skills 101:  suck honeysuckle. Everyone should learn. He taught me. 
For whatever reason that doesn't even matter now, my dad and my aunt had not had contact with their brother for years. They missed him terribly. We all wondered if their brother, my cousin's dad would be at the funeral home. He was too sad to attend our grandmother's funeral so thus, our wondering of whether we would see him for his son's funeral. The loss of a child is the worst pain anyone can experience. We all ached for my aunt and uncle, my cousin's parents.  Upon arrival at the visitation, we saw my uncle. My dad immediately went to talk to him. It was a moment that was years in the making. My dad had missed his brother so much. 
My uncle was so sad. Sad that he had lost his son. Sad that he wouldn't receive the daily call from his son to borrow a tool or give advice on fixing a car. Feeling pain that is unimaginable. In the face of pain, my dad was comfort to my uncle. No matter how much water had been under the bridge it didn't matter. What mattered was two brothers, together again. I sent this picture to my aunt who was going to be coming to the funeral later. She had waited and prayed for years for this moment. 

My aunt arrived the next day and was able to be reunited with her baby brother that she and my dad had not seen or heard from in years. It was the best day of my life to witness the love. 
Their other brother is in heaven. The last brother is in Michigan. Their other sister in heaven. Tragedy brought healing. The loss of my cousin bridged a gap that time had made bigger. The reason is unimportant. The important part is how loss brought gain. Tragedy became triumph. Gap became bridge. Heartache became healing. I loved watching my aunt talk to my uncle like they never missed a beat. 
It was the best day of my life watching my dad, my aunt and my uncle reconnect in a way that would never have happened without losing my cousin. Hearts were opened this weekend. 

Way to go, God!  Excellent work. Thanks for the front row seat to see how you healed a family through tragedy. I heard my uncle say to my aunt through teary eyes yesterday, "I don't know how I would have made it these past few days without you."  They exchanged numbers, they will stay connected. 

My cousin is smiling down from heaven at the healing of our family. Great work, Johnny. You did good. 

God works in mysterious ways. Sometimes he works in horrible situations to bring glory for the greater good. My heart aches for my cousins wife and children and his parents and sisters. I don't think we ever get over the loss of a child, husband, father.  My prayers of comfort for all of them. 

Thanks for reading my blog!  Please consider me to speak at your next event! I can speak on your topic or mine. Visit my website at www.funthoughtsonlife.com

Have a great day and pray for my cousins family!
Jennifer  

No comments:

Post a Comment