Thursday, February 28, 2013

Getting in Touch with your Inner Groovy-Tshirt Quilt Craft

When I started my blog a short week or so ago, I really had no clue what to even talk about in a Blog.  One of my philosophies in life is "Whack it out and hope for the best."  Well, I have whacked out a blog and I must say I am enjoying stroking my inner Groovy with writing.  The Blog is developing and I suppose it is going have somewhat of a Gong Show flavor.  A variety Blog so to speak.  I hope I don't have anyone gong me though, lol.  Too much healthy lifestyle is boring, too many funny stories becomes mundane where eventually my readers will quit reading, and too many tips on raising the children gets old too.  So the blog will take on a Gong Show flavor by providing a nice variety.  If you are waiting for more dieting and exercise tips, they are coming, along with the boy's dating contract, more hilarious stories, and more Groovy Ideas.  I am full of it all!!  But today, we will get in touch with our Inner Groovy with what I will call a "Groovitivity Project".  

Today's Groovitivity Project is to create a quilt out of old tshirts that you can't throw away because they mean something, but that you either can't wear or can't close your drawer because you have too many.  So before you say, "OMGoodness, I can't sew!"  Just hold tight and read on.

Here is a finished product that fits a twin sized bed.
I made this quilt from Tshirts belonging to my oldest daughter. 

Here is a finished product that fits a full sized bed:
This one I made for my son.  I did not have enough tshirts to make his, so I purchased some flannel from the fabric store and made additional squares to make it big enough.

The materials you need are simple  They are as follows:
  1. Scissors
  2. sewing machine
  3. 36 tshirts for a full sized with 15 inch blocks
  4. 30 tshirts for a twin sized with 15 inch blocks
  5. quilt batting from the local store(Walmart even carries this for very inexpensive)

These items are useful but not necessary for the project:  rotary cutter, quilter's square, and rotary mat.

Those who are familiar with quilts and quilting, I made my quilts are ragtime quilts in the interest of time and money.  To make the quilt, you start by laying out each shirt and cutting the front and back at the same time into a 15 inch square.
After you cut all of the shirts, then cut the same number of batting squares.  Then you are ready to assemble the squares for stitching.  To assemble, place a batting square inside the front and back of the 15 inch tshirt square to make a sandwich.  Right sides of the tshirt are facing outward.  When you have all the squares assembled, lay them out in the order you want them to be when it is finished.  Twin size, lay out 5 squares across and 6 squares down.  Full, lay out 6 squares across and 6 squares down.


Then you are ready to sew them on the machine.  Start by stitching an X shape across each block.  This will be your quilting.  Then start in the first row and stitch the first block to the second block, the first and second block to the third block and so on until you have the first row sewn together.  Make sure you put back sides facing each other when you stitch blocks together.  You should have raw edges and batting showing on the top side.

Once you stitch all the rows, then you stitch the top row to the second row, and so on.  This project, believe it or not, takes very little time and money and is quite fun to do.  I made these while I was also working outside the home so it can be done.  We make time for what we want to do.  If you want to do this, you will make time to do it.  It is really a good esteem booster to stroke your inner Groovy.  And you will have a great conversation piece to show for your efforts!

Today's Points to Ponder in the Groovitivity Project:
Whack it out and hope for the best!
We make time for what we want to do.

I hope you enjoy stroking your inner Groovy and have a fabulous day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment