Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Able

I am disabled. I can't turn a cartwheel. Have never been able to do that so that makes me disabled. I also can't do a pull up. I don't have enough upper body strength to do one. Even several years ago when I was on a bodybuilding regimen I was unable to do a single pull up. I'm disabled. I am able to jump really high. Some people can't so they are disabled. I can run 48.6 miles in 4 races in 4 days. Most people can't so they are disabled. I can draw really well. Some people can't draw a stick figure so they are disabled. 

Today I would like to challenge your thinking by bringing to light one of my pet peeves. I despise the term "disabled". NO ONE is disabled. We are ALL differently abled. I am able to run long distances but because you can't doesn't mean you are disabled. It means your ablilities lie in different areas. Because you can do a pull up and I can't doesn't make me disabled. It makes me have ablilities that lie in a different area.

 A person in a wheelchair can do a pull-up because their upper body strength is better than mine due to lack of leg strength. Differently abled. 


A person who is deaf can communicate with their hands. Differently abled. 

A person who is mute can communicate with the use of a computer. Differently abled. 

A person who can't make eye contact with people is exceptionally smart. Differently abled. 

What if God had made us all with the same ablilities?  What would our world look like?  Who put certain people in the category of disabled?  Why aren't all the people who wear glasses labeled disabled?  Because NO ONE is disabled. We are ALL differently abled. 

Today, look around and notice all the different ablilities people have. We are all able. In different ways. 


Thanks for reading my blog!
Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment