Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Day I Wanted to Strangle Someone

I work at an assisted living facility. I drive the bus to transport residents to doctor's appointments, Walmart, etc. As I have grown accustomed to be transportation extroidenair, I have learned that I am an advocate for those who sometimes can't advocate for themselves. Which brings me to today's blog post. I had a situation this past week that made me want to strangle someone.  I will change the names and some of the content as not to violate any HIPPA regulations. The point is still the same. 

I arrived at work to check the transportation schedule for the day. I had to take a resident to the doctor. The resident has an injury that causes them to have memory issues and wander. They can't be left alone. 20 minutes before it's time to leave I try to find the resident to no avail. I got help to find them. Finally, I found the resident who had no recollection of an appointment that day and got them to the bus. By the time we drove to the doctor's office, we were 20 minutes late. (I left out a large part of what I went through to round up the resident). I walked them up to the desk, signed them in, only to have the receptionist say to us, "Oh I am sorry. You are late and we can't see you today."  

Now I have sat in almost every waiting room in Hendersonville, Gallatin, and Goodlettsville and I have waited with residents for up to 2 hours to see a doctor but I am late and this doctor won't see them?!  They have NO IDEA what we went through to get there 20 minutes late. It wasn't planned. We did the best we could to get there. I WANTED TO STRANGLE THE DOCTOR.  How has our society become to insensitive to the plight of others?!

To the rude waitress, maybe she is having marital problems. To the inattentive child, maybe they are watching their mother battle cancer. To the boy who is in special education, maybe he is the best electrician you could ever know. The list goes on and on. Tolerate others and have compassion on them. We all have a story. 

I would like you all to know that the doctor's office that turned us away for being late was Dr. Cruz, a neurologist in Hendersonville at Hendersonville Medical Center. DO NOT go to this doctor. They have no patience with neurological problems because they turned away a resident who had neurological problems because they were late due to their neurological problem. 

I stayed mad about this the rest of the day. The poor resident had no idea why we rode over there and right back. 

May we all be more tolerant of others. Most people are not intentionally late, mean, disconnected or rude. Everyone has a story. Try to understand even if you don't have the facts. 

Thank you for reading my blog!!  And don't forget to hire me to speak at your next event! Visit my website at www.funthoughtsonlife.com

Be Kind to Others,
Jennifer 

No comments:

Post a Comment